Grilled Stuffed Jalepeños

I love grilled, stuffed jalepeños. Here in Texas, we even have special racks to use on the grill to cook them. Tonight, I was rummaging through the refrigerator and came across a bag of fresh jalepeños that needed to be used, so I decided to try my hand at stuffing and grilling them.

Before I ever began preparing the ingredients, I realized I had a major problem, since I don't own one of those fancy pepper racks for the grill. However, my craving for these delicious treats got my creativity going. I took an aluminum pie pan, turned it upside down, and I cut several "X" cuts (about 1 inch each cut) in the bottom of the pan with a paring knife. I pushed the cut corners down into the pan, which made a nice hole in which to place a pepper. Problem solved.

Now that I had the right tool, I commenced to prepare the stuffed jalepeños. Here's the recipe:

GRILLED STUFFED JALEPEÑO PEPPERS
6-8 medium to large sized jalepeños
1/2 package of cream cheese
Shredded cheddar/monterrey jack cheese blend
minced garlic
minced sun-dried tomatoes
fresh ground black pepper
chili powder
3-4 bacon slices, cut in half

Remove the cap of the jalepeño and clean out the seeds and the seed membranes. Be careful not to puncture the side of the pepper. Mix the cream cheese, cheddar/jack, garlic, tomatoes, pepper and chili powder in a bowl. Fill each pepper completely with the filling. Wrap the outside of the pepper with the bacon, and use a toothpick through the bacon only (NOT THE PEPPER) to hold the bacon on. Place the peppers upright in your pepper tray, and grill on an open flame until the bacon is fully cooked but still chewy.

These are delicious. However, watch out for two kinds of heat. First, jalepeños can vary in pepper heat. Some are relatively mild after cooking, and some still pack a punch. Also, when you remove them from the grill, the cheese filling will be very hot and gooey. Just be careful not to burn your mouth.

Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. Enjoy the food!

Comments