What is the "Do It Live" Chef?

Welcome to my blog, The "Do It Live" Chef(TM), or dilChef(TM). dilChef(TM) is a site dedicated to a unique style of improvisational cooking resulting from several variables:

1) having a hungry family;
2) having either no time, no money, or both to go grocery shopping;
3) refusing to waste any food product for lack of use, no matter how specific its customary application;
4) having a desire to break from and move beyond the cuisine ruts into which most families fall;
5) being too cheap to eat out all the time;
6) having an insatiable desire to create; and
7) stimulating the palates of my bride, my kids, and my guests in delightful ways!

On this blog, you will find recipes, preparation tips, notes on kitchen tools and utensils, and a variety of culinary insights and commentary. Please feel free to question, comment, and share this site with your friends and family.

The name "Do It Live" Chef(TM) is a tribute to my oldest son, who is an officer in the United States Army. At some point in his officer training, he began using the phrase "do it live" as a way to signify taking action without pre-planning. For example, if I asked him in the morning whether he and his wife would like to eat dinner with us that evening, and if he wasn't sure of his plans or just didn't want to commit, his response would be "let's just do it live." I think the phrase describes my cooking style very well; when it's time to cook, I don't come to the kitchen with a pre-plan of the meal, recipes, etc. Rather, I look in the pantry, the fridge, the freezer, and the spice rack, then I create the menu and recipes in real time -- thus the moniker "Do It Live" Chef(TM).

Finally, I should offer the caveat that I am not a formally educated chef. I began cooking with my granny when I was just a kid, and never stopped. Although I have no formal training, I consider myself a ravenous student of the culinary arts and sciences. In a sense, my skills have been acquired in a "do it live" manner of in-the-kitchen training and experience. For that reason, my dishes tend to present as comfortable and accessible, even if the recipes and preparation may be rather involved at times. If you can't sit down and just enjoy the food as a satisfying meal, all the clever ingredients and cooking techniques in the world won't make the meal worthwhile.

So, enjoy the site. Share your feedback. And most of all, enjoy the food!

Comments