Leftover Recycling -- Quiche, Meatballs

This post comes from my daughter Leah, the coupon queen (metroplexsavers.blogspot.com) who is learning the dilChef(TM) way to handle her leftovers.

Right now it’s only myself and my husband, so we sometimes have leftover food we need to get rid of. Me being the frugal person that I am, I try to find ways to reuse the food. Here’s a couple meals I created by reusing food. Nothing like looking at your left overs in your fridge and the DO IT LIVE chef(TM) skills come over you.

Meal #1 – Quiche
Foods I Needed To Use Up:
-4 Eggs (they expired, but were still good)
-Homemade Wheat Pitas (I had several left over and needed a crust)
-Broccoli (left overs from another meal, too squishy to eat by itself again)
-Milk (expired, but was still good)

Other Ingredients Used:
-Shredded Cheese
-Flour
-Bacon

I used about 4 pitas for the crust. The crust is a little soft, but the wheat flavor adds a lot, and it makes great breakfast food. For the egg mixture, I mixed Eggs, Cheese, Flour, Milk, Broccoli, and Cooked/Crisp Bacon, and then poured over the pita bread. [EDITORS NOTE: Leah says she opened up the pitas and layered them in the pan to get good coverage. Bake the quiche until it is cooked all the way through -- test by inserting a toothpick and making sure it comes out clean.]

This turned out pretty nicely, and cost me less than $1.00 to make the whole thing (since most of the items were bought on sale and with a coupon)


Meal #2 – Meatballs & Mashed Potatoes
Foods I Needed To Use Up:
-Broccoli(left overs from another meal, too squishy to eat by itself again)
-Potatoes (getting squishy-bought a whole bag for $1 at Kroger)
-White Bread (expired)
-Milk (expired, but was still good)

Other Ingredients Used:
-Shredded Cheese
-Garlic
-Butter
-1 Egg
-Ground Beef (On sale $.99/lb at Tom Thumb until 6/30)

Brian, my husband said this was a good meal.

Mix 1 lb of ground beef with Garlic, Cheese, Crumbled Bread, 1 Egg, and Broccoli. I made meatballs out of the mixture and put in a skillet to cook. For the mashed potatoes, I kept some of the skin on because my husband likes that. I added milk and butter. The potatoes made about 5-6 servings.

Total for this meal was about $1.50, $.99 of that being the ground beef.

Ah, my beautiful daughter.

Comments